Things to Do Before the Movers Arrive: Cleaning Tips
Plot twist: Hiring movers will require some pre-relocation cleaning and organizing. Not only will these preparations help you keep track of your belongings as you pack, but they will ensure that your movers are working in the best conditions to efficiently and respectfully navigate your home. In this article, we’re taking a closer look at some of the best cleaning and organizing tips for a safe, smooth moving day.
The Pre-Moving Purge
Before your movers arrive, you’ll want to allot some time to sort through your belongings. We like to call this the pre-moving purge, and it involves deciding the fate of your various items. This process should begin months before your set moving date, allowing you plenty of time to make decisions and pack. You’ll find that the sooner you begin, the less stressed you’ll be on moving day—especially as you attempt to direct your moving crew. To streamline this purge, here are some tips:
- Go through one room at a time.
- Create three tags—donate, save, and toss—labeling your belongings as you go.
- Plan a dumpster day once a month, up until the week of your move, so that you can keep your toss piles at a reasonable size.
Staying Organized for Your Movers
Once you’ve sorted out your items, it’s time to pack! And while packing is not everyone’s cup of tea, it can be made easier with a team of qualified movers. Before their arrival, however, you’ll want to carefully organize your belongings:
- Request a list from your movers that outlines which items they will not move and make a plan for transporting said items. This list usually includes perishable food, paints, cleaning supplies, some plants, etc.
- Carefully label boxes and large appliances for your movers. Whether you choose to organize your items by destination room, purpose, or type, labeled directions will make moving day a lot easier for both you and your moving team.
- Put aside a box of valuables. These essentials should include important documents, mementos, medications, jewelry, etc., that you want to keep near you throughout the relocation.
- Consider packing a first-day bag. To further streamline your relocation, put together a bag of personal items, extra clothes, shoes, and bathing and sleeping essentials for the first few days in your new home.
We hope this list of tips will help you prepare for your moving day! For more tricks, check out our blog. Chesmar Homes is a home builder that specializes in constructing functional, stylish newly constructed homes in communities throughout Texas’ most desirable cities, including Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, and elsewhere in Central Texas!!